Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Mediterranean

My apologies for the delay in the blog post, the internet has been few and far between here in Lebanon.

I spent yesterday at the beach. It was beautiful! You can stand in water up to your chest and still see your feet. The Mediterranean is delightfully warm and comfortable. I would suggest a visit to the beach any day.

Here is a view from the beach in the south of Lebanon.


I am currently enduring mild sunburn which was completely inevitable since my olive tone skin saw the sun only for the first time yesterday. (Yes mom and Mrs. Knight, I should have worn sunscreen).

After our trip to the beach we smoked Hookah and drank mojitos at a rooftop bar in Zakla (a small city north of Beirut). In an effort to revert back to my American culture I ordered nachos at the bar; not the healthiest decision but a brilliant choice since everyone in Lebanon makes nachos with the red Dorito chips, holy delicious!

I spent today checking out the campus at the American University of Beirut (AUB).

This is the view from the middle of campus.


And this is me standing in AUB's version of the Avatar tree. No but really, it was a cool tree with a ton of roots.



Tomorrow, I'm heading to Baalbeck, the city first built in 9,000BC by the Samaritans. I'll take tons of pictures.

As for now, I may or may not have already had a homesick meltdown. It's definitely going to take some adjusting. It's like going to the gym, your muscles may be sore at first but if you give it a few weeks eventually you'll feel great. I shall prevail. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment