Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Forced Anorexia

Forced anorexia is not an understatement. For the past four days I have been suffering from this grave disease better known as traveler’s diarrhea. I know, it’s gross but you must know what comes with the territory of travel to another country.

I’m calling it forced anorexia because I haven’t eaten anything since Sunday (literally, Sunday). I ate at one of the fanciest restaurants in all of Lebanon on Saturday night (my family loves to eat out and they love to eat at the best and most expensive restaurants they can find) and now I’m dying. Not really dying but it for the past four days that’s what it feels like.

There is no such thing as chicken noodle soup, ginger ale and Gatorade are as hard to find as Jewish people and Imodium is only available via prescription. HOLY SHIT…I would rather jump head first into a pile of rocks than feel like this.

I’m being honest here. I tried to eat a boiled potato, because “that’s what you eat when you’re sick” and it was as successful as George Bush at capturing Bin Laden.

Of all the things you take from my blog, from my trip, from all the advice I ever give you. Bring a pharmacy with you to a developing country. If you think it something may ail you, than bring medicine for it. I’ve traveled a million times before, I know better but this time I packed my bag full of sleeping pills instead of Imodium and Maalox. What was I thinking?

Listen, there is only one thing good that has come out of this. I’ve been reading my brains out and I picked up a magazine which informed me the TED talks are coming to Lebanon. After a mile long application I got a ticket and I’m heading to the TED x Beirut conference on the 24th of this month.

I guess something good came out of this shitty situation. No pun intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment